Our Board has been working hard the past few weeks to prepare for the Spring season to start. Here are some key updates and upcoming dates to be aware of:
Updated State Guidance on Youth Sports
On Friday, California Public Health officials issued new youth sports guidance that loosened the rules for youth sports to be played during the pandemic and go into effect on Friday, February 26th. The new guidance allows all outdoor sports to resume in counties where COVID-19 case rates are at or below 14 people per 100,000 (San Mateo County meets that criteria), and it clears the way for baseball competition. This is very good news as we now know that we can play competitively starting next Friday. We are in the process of cross-checking our current COVID protocols and procedures manual to the new guidance to see if any updates are necessary ahead of on-field activities starting.
Upper Divisions (Majors & AAA)
- Player drafts were held this week and teams are now formed. Coaches have likely already reached out to their players to provide pertinent information for the upcoming season (e.g. uniforms, practices, etc.).
- Practices for these divisions are planned to commence next weekend
- We will have a ~2.5 week Spring Training before commencing the regular season schedule the week of March 15th
Lower Divisions (AA, A, T-Ball, Wiffle)
- With the upper division drafts being completed this week, the player pool for our lower divisions are now set and Board members are working on finalizing teams in these divisions and making sure we have sufficient coaching to cover all our teams. We are aiming to have this work done as soon as possible. Once teams are finalized, you will be notified of what team your child is on and coaches will start reaching out about the season.
- For AA, A, and T-Ball, we are targeting and doing our best to enable practices for these divisions to commence during the back half of the week of March 1st, with the regular season commencing on Sunday, March 21st.
- For Wiffle Ball, we are planning on commencing the weekend of March 20th.
Player / Volunteer COVID-19 Waivers
To participate this Spring as a player or volunteer, COVID-19 waivers are required to be signed and returned to the league. There are three waivers:
- Participant waiver - To be signed by the parents of each player
- General liability waiver - To be signed by the parents of each player and each volunteer (e.g. parent, team parent, etc.)
- Volunteer waiver - To be signed by each volunteer
Head coaches will be required to ensure that all required waivers are signed and provided to the Board.
Waivers can be found here: Spring 2021 - SMNLL Player Waiver.pdf, Spring 2021 - SMNLL General Liability Waiver.pdf, Spring 2021 - SMNLL Volunteer Waiver.pdf
We are very excited that the Spring 2021 season will be kicking off soon. This has been a long and challenging planning process for the Board due to the pandemic. I am very appreciative of our Board for all the hard work and time they have put in during a very challenging period to facilitate kids in our community to play baseball. While there is still work to be done, we are almost there.
We appreciate your patience and support and we are very much looking forward to seeing the kids in our community back on the diamond.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or another Board member.